Substance Abuse Therapist Education Requirements
Substance abuse therapist is an individual or professional who deals with those individuals who are dealing with substance abuse troubles. This is a very challenging job which requires the therapist to help addicts leave behind their addiction and get back to living normally without dependence on alcohol, cigarettes or drugs. Substance abuse therapist help in long term management issues and are trained to deal with delicate situations well.
These counsellors or therapists may work in a wide variety of environments including private clinics, hospitals, prisons, treatment facilities and probation offices etc. To become a substance abuse therapist, you need to fulfill certain education requirements. They are given as follows:
Substance abuse therapist Education Requirements
- Any person who wants to become a substance abuse therapist must complete high school education from a recognized institute.
- The next step is to get a bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject or field, preferably nursing, social work, psychology or rehabilitation services.
- Master’s degree in one of the fields mentioned above is also often a compulsory requirement to become a substance abuse therapist.
Substance abuse therapist Degrees, Courses and Certifications
To become a licensed substance abuse therapist, one needs to take up the following degree, course and certification requirements
- High school diploma or GED from an accredited institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field.
- Master’ degree in relevant field.
- Completion of certain number of hours in supervised clinical environment.
- Certification from National Board for Certified Counselors Inc. One can also get a certification or licensure from Commission on Rehabilitation Counselors.
Substance abuse therapist Qualification and Training
In order to become a successful substance abuse therapist, theoretical knowledge is not enough. One has to have the required clinical experience which is gained during the end of master’s program.
This clinical experience fulfills the requirement for formal training under supervision and gives the candidate a lot of experience of dealing with patients. Apart from this, one can also pursue internship or training after Master’s program and before getting the license in order to further improve skills.
Substance abuse therapist Colleges and Universities
Substance abuse therapist Wages and Salaries
While the salary of a substance abuse therapist is not fixed and varies from one professional to another, on an average the salary per annum is $43000. The variations occur due to difference in experience, work setting and number of hours given to the job. The salary may also vary from state to state.
Category: Education Requirements