Sous Chef Education Requirements
A sous chef is a French term which literally means ‘under chef’, or someone who works directly under a head chef or an executive chef in a restaurant. He is also regarded to be the head chef’s right hand man and has to follow his instructions on how to cook a meal, what portions to give, any special requests from the customer and so on.
He also plays an important role in preparing the menu, cooking, handling food supplies along with the head chef and in a way is like his assistant in the kitchen. In order to be a sous chef, one needs to be trained in the culinary field and get a degree or diploma so that he fulfills the educational requirements and also gets knowledge on how to work in a kitchen, cook or handle a specific area.
Sous Chef Education Requirements:
- Before you go to culinary school, you can work lower level jobs in the kitchen of a restaurant along with your high school studies in order to get an idea of how things are done in a kitchen
- You can use this experience along with a course in a culinary school which can be of two years to 4 years depending on what you choose
- Learn about different types of cuisines, how to make the basic recipes, choose ingredients, taste, improve your palate and also study about nutrition and food safety rules to work better
- You can also take a paper in food management because that will help you learn the administrative and management part of running a restaurant to help your career later
Sous Chef Degrees, Courses and Certifications:
The candidates who look forward to pursue their career as sous chef can choose to pursue the following courses:
- Associate’s degree in Culinary Arts
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts
- Apprentice programs for chefs
- Certification from American Culinary Federation
- Associate’s degree in Food Management
Sous Chef Qualification and Training:
A sous chef must first complete a course in a reputed culinary school and after that he can get more training by taking part in apprenticeship programs offered by the American Culinary Federation which also gives out certificates of Certified Sous Chef to those sous chefs who have completed their apprenticeship and 4000 hours practical training in a restaurant.
Sous Chef Colleges and Universities:
Sous Chef Wages and Salaries:
The average salary of a sous chef is $40,000 to $46,000 a year and big cities pay the highest.
Category: Restaurant Education Requirements