Optometrist College Requirements
In order to become an Optometrist one requires undergoing a relevant degree course from an accredited college, and taking admission in such a course in an Optometrist college is not an easy task. Like every other college taking admission in Optometrist College also requires fulfilling certain criterion. The job of an optometrist is no doubt quite respectful and pays good remuneration however the hard work involved in getting admission to an optometrist college and passing the course with good grades is also quite a lot.
Following are the requirements for getting admission in Optometrist College:
- The first and foremost requirement is to complete high school with good grades. It is suggested to take science subjects during high school if you are aspiring to get admission to an optometrist college.
- The second requirement that you require fulfilling is to complete at least 135 quarter hours of credit in approved pre-optometry coursework from an accredited college or university.
- You also require completing all the given prerequisite courses. These are to be completed with grade C- or more.
- Candidates who have a growing point-hour ratio of 3.00 or more are given first consideration by the college. It is essential to perform well in the courses which are especially required for admission.
- Apart from the above mentioned conditions it is also necessary to complete a minimum of 10 hours of observation with at least two optometric practice settings.
- One is also required to submit OptomCAS application between 1st of July and 31st of March.
- It is also essential to complete the Optometry Admission Test which is also known as OAT by the 31st of March.
- One is also required to submit all the certificates and mark sheets of the various courses attended stating from high school as well as at least three recommendation letters.
- It is also essential to give a personal interview at the college of Optometry Admissions Committee.
Category: College Requirements