Medical Microbiologist Education Requirements
A medical microbiologist is one who specializes in the field of microbiology to be used for medical purposes and research. He studies various microbes like bacteria, virus or parasite and observes how they affect the human body, causing diseases or any other condition and does research on the ways in which the conditions can be treated. By studying these microbes, medical microbiologists contribute to the research on these organisms and play a very important role in creating medicines for preventing and eliminating many diseases.
The educational requirements in this field consist of a master’s or PhD in microbiology after which a person can do his internship to get more experience.
Medical Microbiologist Education Requirements:
- You must take subjects like biology, life sciences, chemistry, physics botany and zoology at the lower level so that later on you already have a basis for study medical microbiology
- You should have an aptitude and love for science and should read up on the various science journals which deal with this topic to update your knowledge
- In college, you need to get a bachelor’s and a master’s degree in microbiology to get the specialized knowledge in this field.
- Most organizations expect employees to have a PhD especially for research purposes
Medical Microbiologist Degrees, Courses and Certifications:
The candidates who look forward to pursue their career as a medical microbiologist can study the following courses:
- Master of Science in Microbiology
- PhD in Microbiology
- Master of Science in Medical Microbiology
- PhD in Medical Microbiology
Medical Microbiologist Qualification and Training:
Besides doing the courses mentioned above, one can also do certain specialized courses that will improve your knowledge in this field, like bacteriology, virology etc. Internships are very important to get the right lab experience and training by working in a research facility, hospital or laboratory and this helps to get a job as a medical microbiologist in the future. You should have an eye for detail, must be organized and keep yourself updated on what is happening in this field.
Medical Microbiologist Colleges and Universities:
Medical Microbiologist Wages and Salaries:
The average salary in this field is $72,000 per year and some of them also get hourly wages at $35 on an average per hour. Beginners can earn $40,000 in a year while those with experience and the right qualifications can earn more than $110,000. The job outlook in good with employment expected to rise 21%. Maryland employs the largest number of microbiologists and gives the salary.
Category: Medical Education Requirements