Legal Assistant Education Requirements
Legal Assistant is required to be properly trained and have a basic legal knowledge in order to be hired under legal firms. The education also needs to encompass secretarial skills. There are no such specific criteria that are required for the legal assistant while being hired but there are some certificate courses that are required. There are also colleges that offer degree courses related to this field. There are community colleges that provide certain graduate courses. The emphasis is more on the training of the legal assistant while hiring.
Legal Assistant Education Requirements:
- Various community colleges offer bachelor degrees in law courses as well. These can help in acquiring knowledge about general legal procedures, different court rules, subpoenas, deeds etc. The courses also emphasize on business mathematics, business law, business communications and legal and record management. However, there are no specification in the subject pursued for both graduation and post graduation.
- Universities also offer advanced courses that can be obtained in order to gain proficiency and understand the depth of all the legal procedures that are associated in this field.
- Legal training degrees for 1 or 2 years are also essential that specialize in training the aspirant in the various legal secretarial duties that is associated with this job.
- A formal post-secondary training in legal and secretarial courses is required. This will ensure a starting foundation through which further experience in legal research, business law, legal writing etc can be gained.
Legal Assistant Degrees, Courses and Certification:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Law or LLB
- Master’s Degree in Paralegal Studies, Legal Record Management, Business Law etc.
- Certification in secretarial training, legal research, records management, criminal law, law office administration and legal writing.
- Certification from the National Association of Legal Secretaries (NALS) as a Professional Legal Secretary (PLS)
Legal Assistant Qualification and Training:
The training experience gained while pursuing education as a legal assistant is important. The legal assistant is required to be thoroughly qualified and efficient in handling legal records and other related legal activities. This will be achieved through sufficient training that the courses and degrees offer. There are also internship opportunities in legal firms that should be taken up while studying in colleges and universities. This will help boost the resume and ensure employment.
Legal Assistant Colleges and Universities:
Legal Assistant Wages and Salaries:
The average annual income of a legal secretary is $40,000.
Category: Legal Education Requirements