Labor and Delivery Nurse Education Requirements
The job of a labor and delivery nurse is to help the doctor during childbirth, assist the mother before and after childbirth, taking care of cleaning and maintaining hygiene at the birth location, etc. Candidates who are aiming to become labor and delivery nurse should take up relevant full time courses in nursing so that they can meet the education criteria. For the position of labor and delivery nurse, there are also certain certification criteria as set up my health care standards.
Candidates should have expertise of handling childbirth, postpartum nursing among several other nursing methods. A real time work experience would give the candidate an edge over others. Below mentioned is an exhaustive list of education requirements pertaining to the profession of a labor and delivery nurse.
Labor and Delivery Nurse Education Requirements:
- Candidates must complete their high school and secondary school degree with good grades.
- Candidates must be able to take up medicine or nursing related subjects in their graduation and post-graduation from recognized universities.
- Candidates should be good at patient care and have good interpersonal skills.
- If candidates are also good in chemistry and mathematics, it would help a great deal in doing the tasks as a labor and delivery nurse effectively.
Labor and Delivery Nurse Degrees, Courses and Certifications:
The following are some of the best degrees, courses and certifications available for candidates who would want to become a labor and delivery nurse:
- RN to Bachelor of Science in Nursing
- AAS in Medical Assisting
- Doctor of Nursing Practice – General
- BSN to RN-to-BSN Completion (CCNE Accredited)
- Master of Science in Nursing
Labor and Delivery Nurse Qualification and Training:
Candidates can meet the licensing and certification criteria by enrolling for the exam National Council Licensure Examination – Registered Nurse and clearing it with good marks. Candidates who have work experience in gynecology, obstetrics, pediatrics, etc. would get value added in their resume.
Labor and Delivery Nurse Colleges and Universities:
Labor and Delivery Nurse Wages and Salaries:
Candidates who would want to contribute to the workforce by becoming a labor and delivery nurse can work in popular industries like health care, hospital, acute care hospital, medical services, nurse staffing, etc. Candidates are expected to possess 1-4 years of relevant work experience. The hourly rate paid to labor and delivery nurses lies in the range of $16 to $36. This translates to a total annual compensation ranging between $37,000 and $80,000. These estimates are done by Pay Scale.
Category: Nursing Education Requirements