Head Chef Education Requirements
A head chef is someone who is trained in the culinary field and handles the kitchen in a restaurant. He is different from an executive chef who is in charge of multiple operations of running a restaurant while the head chef is primarily the head of a single operation. He also has to be present during service and cook along with his team and at the same time supervise their activities. He has to develop his leadership and organizational skills and needs to remain calm under pressure, yet be assertive.
There can be one or more than one head chefs working for an executive chef in some restaurants and all of them have to get trained in culinary arts which will not only teach them to cook but also give training on how to manage the kitchen staff, safety procedures and handling equipment.
Head Chef Education Requirements:
- You have to get trained in a culinary school if you want to be a head chef one day
- This is a senior level position and there are few places which hire a chef directly to this position
- After you finish your 2 year or 4 year course in culinary arts, you will have to work in lower positions like a sous chef and get practical experience in the kitchen, often under a head chef
- Your educational background, along with your work experience in this field will teach you the ropes of the job and how to handle kitchen operations, prepare food, lead the team of chefs and offer smooth service
Head Chef Degrees, Courses and Certifications:
The candidates who look forward to pursue their career as a head chef can choose to pursue the following courses:
- Diploma in Culinary Arts
- Advanced program in Culinary Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Arts
- Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Management
- Associate’s degree in Hotel and Food Management
Head Chef Qualification and Training:
A head chef must get education in a culinary school to about every area of running a kitchen and start his career by working under another head chef. The more practical experience he gets the better. There are some chefs who also go for advanced training programs or certificate courses to expand their skills while others continue to get trained on the job.
Head Chef Colleges and Universities:
Head Chef Wages and Salaries:
The salary of a head chef depends on which restaurant he works for but one can expect to get $56,000 to $86,000 a year.
Category: Restaurant Education Requirements