Gastroenterology Education Requirements
Gastroenterology is a field where a medical professional specializes in digestive problems or deals with the treatment of illness of the human digestive organs. He is a doctor who has to detect, diagnose, treat and manage the organs like the esophagus, stomach, intestines, pancreas, liver and the colon. The educational requirements for this job is similar to any medical field, that is, first one needs to get four years of training in medical school and then take gastroenterology as a special subject either side by side or after you graduate.
You also need work experience of 10-12 in order to specialize in this field, apart from getting theoretical training. You may also need to get additional training in performing diagnostic tests like endoscopy treatments like colposcopy.
Gastroenterology Education Requirements:
- Take subjects like life science, biology, chemistry, math and physics in high school that provides the foundation of any medical training later
- Study a four-year undergraduate course in medical school to get a medical degree during which you can specialize in gastroenterology
- You will also need to work in the department of internal medicine and complete residency of 3-4 years
- You can also join a fellowship program in this field for another 3 years or so where you will get practical training and get to deal with cases related to digestive disorders
- Later you can get more training in many procedures and types of treatment and surgery required to treat diseases of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
Gastroenterology Degrees, Courses and Certifications:
The candidates who look forward to pursue their career as a gastroenterologist can study the following courses to get the right knowledge:
- Medical College Admission Test
- Bachelor of Medicine
- Doctor of Medicine
Gastroenterology Qualification and Training:
You can get a board certificate, although it is not compulsory, from the American College of Gastroenterology and the American Board of Internal Medicine. You will have to pass an exam and finish continuing medical education or CME courses. You can also specialize in areas like gastric or hepatobiliary medicine, GI oncology and GI radiology for which you will need to complete a fellowship.
Gastroenterology Colleges and Universities:
Gastroenterology Wages and Salaries:
This is a very lucrative field where the salary grows with more work experience and qualifications. The average annual salary of a gastroenterologist is $185,000 but those in New York can get $230,000. With more experience one can get $265,000-$350,000 and the top level gastroenterologists get even $500,000 in a year.
Category: Oil Energy Education Requirements