Firefighter Education Requirements
A firefighter education requirement should center on fire fighting, CPR, or fire science. The medical knowledge related to fire, fire hazards, fire rescue, and treatment is always advantageous as this knowledge can help in propelling your career upwards. The important aspect to consider is that the knowledge gathered through the education should revolve around health, fire science, fire technology, physical education, fire prevention and technology and related areas. As a fire fighter, apart from the relevant education, you need to be physically fit and at the same time should be able to think fast and delegate. Hence, you need to participate in outdoor activities and sports as well as excel in your college or university curriculum.
Firefighter Education Requirements:
- An aspiring firefighter needs to hold a bachelor’s degree in fire science or fire technology from a reputable institution. Stellar grades should be maintained in all years.
- An aspiring firefighter can also opt for an associate degree in fire engineering and then complete certification courses in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), emergency medical procedures, etc.
- You will need to also clear state or municipal board examinations, which constitute physical ability, stamina and endurance tests, medical examination including drug screening etc.
Firefighter Degrees, Courses and Certifications:
A firefighter needs to complete the following under graduate or graduate degree programs as well as complete relevant certification programs to enhance his/her work credentials:
- High school diploma with overall good percentage.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Fire Science
- Associate of Science in Fire Technology or Fire engineering
- Certification in EMT and Paramedics
- Certification in First Aid, CPR, and AED
- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) for fire fighters
Firefighter Qualification and Training:
On completion of relevant education, you will undergo intensive training in firefighting at a training facility or academy of the state fire department that you are interested to join. As a part of the training, you will learn various fire fighting techniques, how to prevent fire, local building codes, hazardous materials control, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), using various fire fighting and fire rescue equipment etc.
Firefighter Colleges and Universities:
Firefighter Wages and Salaries:
Firefighter salary varies from $28,232 to $76,917 per annum and you can earn a bonus of up to $7,302. The salary also varies according to the basic education you have had like if you have completed B.Sc in Fire science then your annual average salary will vary from $28,966 to $100,000 and if you have completed Associate of Applied Science (AAS) in Fire Science then the average will vary from $32,500 to $89,500.
Category: Legal Education Requirements